BALEAP: the global forum for EAP professionals
BALEAP supports the professional development of those involved in learning,teaching, scholarship and research in English for Academic Purposes (EAP). It was founded in 1972 as SELMOUS (Special English Language Materials for Overseas University Students) and changed its name to The British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes in 1989 and then to BALEAP in 2010.
Its aims are to :
- enhance the quality of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) learning and teaching in institutions of further and higher education.
- support the professional development of those involved in learning, teaching, scholarship and research in EAP
- provide an accreditation scheme for EAP courses
- promote and disseminate understanding of EAP and associated research through
- biennial conferences and one-day professional Issues Meetings (PIMs)
- publication of research and conference presentations.
- statements of good practice such as teacher competencies and guidelines for testing
Members have access to a discussion list through which they can engage in discussion on topics of mutual concern, engage in informal consultancy or surveys, and obtain advice about testing, materials for courses, syllabus design, recruitment.